May 6, 2012

A dose of insomnia

It's amazing how a person can get by without any sleep. I have been awake for a little more than 18 hours. I had planned on going to bed early to set my sleep-wake cycle right again after several nights of staying up til 4am and snoozing 'til noon. I was quite successful for the first hour or so until my sister started shifting around in the room as she prepared for bed. We're bedmates for the week since I'm just visiting while my husband is away. As the muffled sounds of things being moved around pulled me out of unconsciousness, I became vaguely aware of the other side of the bed sagging slightly and knew my sister was about to settle in. I grasped at whatever dream I was having hoping to regain that quiet solitude but it was too late. It took me a good half hour to realize I wasn't going to fall asleep any time soon. As I listened to my sister's even breathing, I contemplated. What is there to do at 2 in the morning?  I gave up. I swam out from under the pillows and sheets and approached the only thing I could communicate with at such a ghostly hour: my laptop. 


My early-morning sojourn in cyberspace turned out to be quite productive (by my standards haha!) since I was able to explore the world of Blogger. I found new blogs to follow. Blogs by artists, writers, moms, preachers, atheists, and even entomologists. 


I found it very interesting to note that mom-blogs can be enjoyable with the right perspective. A few years back, I would have found them dull and monotonous since they always mentioned children and whatever developmental milestone they were currently experiencing. Diapers and baby-vomit are things I would rather not read about. But now that I'm married and planning on starting my own family, they turned out to be very informative. :) Yey for moms! (Next Sunday is Mother's Day!)


Preacher- and atheist-blogs were insightful. I am a Christian and I was raised in a Christian household. Still, I  like to read on the views of those who do not share my faith. It makes me reassess (and in most cases, reaffirm) my beliefs. Some comments and posts I found deeply disturbing but the many blogs by Christian pastors were enough to set the balance. 


Artists' blogs will be a constant among my favorites. Never really having any firsthand experience at art, except for the occasional painting or sculpture needed to pass certain (wholly unnecessary!) courses back in high school and college, I have always marveled at the way artists can take a ribbon of lace, a small palette of three colors, a 5" x 8" sized cardboard, or a pebble for that matter, into an expression of an inner fantasy. It reminded me of a younger version of myself whose only ambition was to be the country's next prima ballerina, a dream which I worked on for nearly three years before setting it aside for more academic aspirations.  In those blogs, I was mesmerized by the poems, the watercolor paintings, the handcrafted dolls, and wondered if I could still nurture whatever artistic talent lurks in my bones. In the end, I decided to pursue this "talent" and I shall blog about the outcome at a later date.


Aside from Blogger, I was also able to update my account at Goodreads. More books have been lined up for me to finish. Hooray!


So, after four hours of blog-hunting and traversing along random pages of the internet, I ended up following more than half a dozen blogs. It was a small adventure in its own way, one that I plan on expanding on in days to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment